Saturday, September 23, 2006

Moving On Up

...to the other side of Vientiane because I moved in with my host family, an exciting and slightly anxious occasion. But the first day/night was wonderful in spite of our limited communication, a hinderance that will change with time-- I've already been taught many new words, although I can't recall them all at this moment. But my family, Nafone (10/F), Got (12/M), A (16/F), Lack (the mother), and Ket (the father), has already been gracious about speaking slowly, repeating things, and salvaging what I make of the Lao phrases that I know, so I'm sure they will remind me when the time comes. The house is spacious with a large garden in which a puppy runs around (handily, I think this puppy and I can live symbiotically as he must like meat, although I spotted him snacking on rice the other day, and I, while I'm eating it, could use a bit of help). I have my own room, which I've settled into quite nicely, although my sticky-tack keeps getting too warm and my wall hangings keep displaying themselves from the floor. I've taken some pictures but forgotten my cord and hope to post them soon.
I start teaching tomorrow, another adventure since I have a lot of students (five classes worth), 21 hours in class per week, and no idea what level everyone is at. I'm looking forward to getting going as waiting lends itself to needless anxiety for God doesn't give us more than we can handle. Thanks for all of your love, prayers, and email.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home