Monday, July 23, 2007

On Coming Home

Not an easy thing, this coming home business. A bit exhausting physically and emotionally to say good-byes and then to travel for 29 hours and arrive in a world that is 12 hours delayed, tens of degrees cooler, several shades less vibrant, with rules to the road, and (as yet) no Lao language to be heard, no sinhs to be seen (the traditional Lao skirt), and no sticky rice to be eaten.

Not to say that I don't appreciate cars that stay in their lanes, Life cereal and French toast for breakfast, blueberries and cherries for snacktime, and conversations in English. All these things and the anticipation of seeing friends and family after leaving this re-entry retreat at MCC's offices in Pennsylvania make my heart glad. The cool breeze last night was enough to make me laugh happily... but it is always hard to leave a place where you've gotten to know new people, new things, and a new side of yourself.

A friend ended their blog after leaving Laos. I don't think I'll follow suit. I imagine there might be a few adventures yet ahead even though I no longer live in a foreign country, so when there are stories or insights that come along and ask to be shared, I'll honor their requests. I imagine that as I hear from the other fifty people who are coming back from their years in Asia, Africa, Europe, and Latin America, there might be some remarkable tales of how God has been working and how we've been trying to see and participate in that work. I've already heard of health lost and regained (more or less, some bodies are still fighting off their parasites...), of cultural mishaps and lessons, language limitations and acquisitions, the adventures and mundane moments of living overseas. I'm looking forward to more.

Peace,
Renee

1 Comments:

At 9:38 AM , Blogger Debbie said...

So excited to see you! I am glad you are not going to abruptly quit your blog though. It might be hard for me to bear.
p.s. I think I can make it to the airport to greet you, if that's okay.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home